Soft and moist, melt in mouth chocolate cake with orange flavored twist. This Chocolate orange cake recipe is perfect for birthdays and celebrations.
The orange and chocolatey is a pair made for each other and moist texture will make it a melt-in-mouth delicacy. have you ever experienced it in any form like candies and chocolates?
I bumped into this recipe on a cake photoshoot for a client. From then on, it’s been on our list of favorite chocolate cake recipes.
Treat your friends and family or make it on a special occasion to make them wow!
Believe me, always make some extras. Because it will vanish in a blink of an eye.
Ah, don’t forget to make it at least once before the orange season completely vanishes from the market.
Ingredients for chocolate Orange cake recipe
This recipe uses refined flour which you can swap it with Wheat Flour.
Milk : if you would like to have a non dairy alternative, it would be great with coconut milk.
Butter / Vegetable oil : I have also tried the exact recipe and proportion with coconut oil instead of butter. Using coconut oil does impart a nutty flavor to the recipe. If you aren’t comfortable with that flavor an olive oil substitute could also do so.
Orange cake with Fresh Orange Juice
This chocolate orange cake recipe doesn’t use sliced oranges. Instead, it uses fresh orange juice with the cake batter. Hence, a little care needed to be taken while adding Orange juice.
I haven’t tried this recipe with store-bought ones as they are sweeter. If you are about to try with packed juice, never forget to reduce the amount of sugar. And of course, it depends on the quantity of sugar in the packed juice
You can definitely make this in a pressure cooker, in the oven, or microwave, just be alert and check-in for the time difference.
This recipe is a no oven recipe and I believe it’s one of the reasons for its super moist nature.
Orange Cake Decoration
Decorate your chocolate Orange Cake with cream frosting. If you want to go for a simple look or you are not more of a pro at decorating, then don’t panic. I have a solution to make your cake look elegant.
Just pour some chocolate ganache over the cake and give it some time to set completely and then decorate with candied orange peels.
Alternatively, you can also decorate with fresh orange slices.
How to make Candied Orange slices
- Slice Orange into thin circles with seed removed, and with the peel.
- In a Saucepan, Add 1 cup water, and 2 cups of sugar
- Followed by, Stirring till the sugar dissolves.
- When it comes to a roaring boil, add the orange slices (let’s say around 12-15 ) into it. Let it simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Now, remove the slices and dry in the sunlight over the parchment paper.
It should be completely dry before using it in this recipe. use the rest of the slices in another recipe or have them as such.
you can also store these candied oranges in an airtight container for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
How to make Orange cake – A step by step recipe
1. In a bowl take all the dry ingredients one by one by sieving it ( Flour, Sugar, Cocoa, Baking powder, and soda) This way, we could avoid the formation of lumps in the cake.
2. In another bowl mix all the wet ingredients except Orange juice like Egg, Milk, and Coconut oil. I have tried this recipe with both coconut oil and butter.
*Using Coconut oil imparts a nutty flavor of the coconut to the cake, which my members of the family actually loved it. if you don’t like that coconut taste in the cake you can use olive oil or butter too. with either, the recipe works the same.
3. In a saucepan, or in microwave warm the freshly squeezed orange juice.
4. Side by side, grease a 6 inch round cake tin with butter or vegetable oil. Even a tiffin box could do the job. but, strictly no to plastic. you got it right 😉
5. In a pressure cooker add water and bring it to boil. While it boils, let’s continue with folding.
6. Now Slowly mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients by carefully folding them in. This is Followed by adding orange juice slowly. After Folding the final batter is a bit of liquid in nature and you need not worry about it.
7. Now, Pour the cake mix into the tin and cook them over a metal rack placed inside the pressure cooker for 30 minutes in medium heat followed by 10 minutes in simmer without the whistle on.
8. Remove from heat and let it cool down for another 10 minutes.
9. Now, decorate with cream frost or chocolate ganache and top with either candied or fresh orange peels.
Without Frosting, its good to store the cake plastic wrapped cake for a week.
Tip from CurryLens
- This chocolate orange cake recipe is devoured at its best with a slice of cake and a scoop of vanilla ice cream as a dessert companion.
- Another suggestion is to enjoy when its warm.
Chocolate Orange cake Recipe
- Pressure cooker
- 6 inch round cake tin
- 1 Cup All-purpose flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp Baking powder
- ¾ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Coconut oil / butter
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup Fresh Orange Juice
- In a large mixing bowl, Sieve and mix all the dry ingredients ( Flour, Sugar, Cocoa, Baking powder, and soda)
- In another large mixing bowl, mix wet ingredients (Eggs, Milk, butter). Whisk them all together till they are well incorporated.
- In a saucepan, warm the Orange juice.
- Grease the cake tin with butter or olive oil.
- Add water to the Pressure cooker and heat it.
- Now Slowly mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients by carefully folding them in.
- Followed by adding orange juice slowly.
- Now, Pour the cake mix into the tin and cook them over a metal rack for 30 minutes in medium heat followed by 10 minutes simmer without the whistle on.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down for another 10 minutes.
- Now, decorate with cream frost or chocolate ganache and top with either candied or fresh orange peels.
- you can wrap the cake with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator. It can stay well up to a week without a frost.