The Easy dessert recipe to act as a quick fixture for your parties or those dessert craving days. Mango trifle is a fruit version of classic English trifle recipes.
Be it in or out of season who doesn’t like mangoes?
In summers with mangoes in season, its definitely our go-to dessert for those sweet craving days.
And Woo-hoo! it’s really super simple and quick if you have few leftovers of cake and custard, to make this super dessert!
What is a trifle
Trifle- the name gives its meaning halfway. ‘Tri’- fle is generally 3 layered. It’s an English dessert, made with sponge cake, sherry or wine, custard and whipped cream which is optional.
The non alcoholic version of trifle includes fruit juices or purees to moisten the sponge cake or cake fingers. This version can be good to serve for your kids or teetotalers.
Some versions of trifle also include jelly instead of sherry to moisten the sponge cake.
Addition of jelly also gives the dessert new dimensions. However, it has to be done right!
This Mango trifle recipe will be definitely your kids favorite as it is melt in mouth and highly tempting. Bonus, Healthy as there is no added artificial ingredients in it.
Layers in Mango Trifle
Trifle is Build on Three layers. And an extra layer of whipped cream is always optional and added as a way to make the dessert more appealing and interesting.
The three basic layers are,
- Sponge cake/ fingers
- Fruit purees’/juices/ diced fruit and berries
- layer of custard
These three layers are arranged one above the other, with the bottom layer being the sponge cake (that is, above the sponge cake fruit juices or purees / cut fruits and berries are added, above that a layer of custard is added).
How to serve trifle
Trifles are usually served in a trifle bowl. you can use any normal bowls to layer the trifles.
To make it even classy you can use glasses to layer the trifle.
If there is more than a layer, tall glasses makes the dessert more interesting. Also, the visible layers outside the glass make it much more captivating.
Short glasses are mostly preferred to serve your mini trifles, as it is easy to complete your cup with a whipped cream topping or it looks like fulfilled dessert.
Tips to make best Mango trifle
1. The only secret in making best Mango trifle is, to make them few hours before serving. This allows the cake to soak in fruit juices or purees.
2. Be mindful when adding sugar.
If you have a sweet tooth, its okay to add that extra sugar. But, when it is particularly for serving crowd, too much sugar could spoil the dessert as the fruit itself have some sweetness in it.
3. Let your custard be semi thick
Custard that are too loose may make the dessert soggy. Make your custards less watery.
4. You can store the remaining whipped cream in an air tight container and store it in refrigerator or freezer. This can be used later for whipping up another set of trifles later.
5. While using leftover whipped cream that was taken out from the refrigerator, you need to make sure; it is not too hard for you to pipe it down ad the temperature has fallen a bit down.
Making Mango trifle & Storing
Unlike, other desserts Fruit trifle recipes are easy to make and best suited for crowd. Bonus, You can make it in advance.
Another beauty of these Mango trifle dessert is that they are much suitable for impromptu parties if you have the leftovers of custard, and cake with few mangoes.
1. If Making trifle a day ahead, make sure you top it with whipped cream at the time of parties rather than storing it with whipped cream on top.
2. Another method is to prepare all the base ingredients separately and layering it some time before parties.
3. Though, the cake in trifle needs to be soaked, remember too much soaking may turn them into soggy. To avoid these limit the time storing in refrigerator with all layers. Approximately you can store this trifle with all layers for a day.
Substitutions for ingredients
The best part in making your favourite dessert is with readily available ingredients, Particularly when you are running out of time, right?
So, here are some secrets to save you from that last minute anxitement.
Firstly, You can use a store bought custard tins instead of making it from scratch.
Secondly, You can substitute any store-bought sponge cake for the cake layer.
Also, Don’t afraid to try out with different types of cake with the first layer. But, the important thing to remember is to experiment before you serve it to the guest.
Ran out of cake? but leftover with sweet buns?? No, worries. Yo have got a good alternative.
Crumble them to make the base layer cutting out the edges. But, remember try it out with this trick to check if it is working for you. Before serving your guest.
Because, things that worked for me, need not necessarily work for you right?
Lastly, a mango store-bought mango puree could save you with the third layer.
If you are more keen to make summer fruit trifle recipes you can try different summer fruit juices or purees to make your trifle recipes like this mango custard trifle.
Recipe to Make Easy Mango Trifle
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 ½ tbsp Custard powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Crumbled Cake
- 1/2 cup Mango Puree
- 1 cup Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup Chopped Mangoes
- Prepare custard paste by mixing custard powder with a tsp of milk.
- Boil remaining milk and add this custard paste to boiled milk.
- Take a Trifle serving bowl/ jar/ cup. Layer crumbled cake over it.
- Above this layer add Mango puree.
- Above the layer of Mango puree add Custrad mix.
- Take Whipped cream in a wide bowl, such that it top layer remains a little lower than the brim.
- Whip it with Electric hand mixer or whisker. It will take approximately extra five to eight minutes if using a whisker.
- Add this whipped cream to a piping bag with nostril and pipe it over the layer of custard.
- You can whip it with cream just before serving and top with chopped mangoes.
- That's it, your dessert craving is fixed. Enjoy!