The Easy dessert recipe to act as a quick fixture for your parties or those dessert craving days. Mango trifle is a fruit version of classic English trifle recipes.
Be it in or out of season who doesn’t like mangoes?
In summers with mangoes in season, it’s definitely our go-to dessert for those sweet craving days.
And Woo-hoo! it’s really super simple and quick if you have few leftovers of cake and custard, to make this super dessert!
What is a trifle
Trifle- the name gives its meaning halfway. ‘Tri’- file is generally 3 layered. It’s an English dessert, made with sponge cake, sherry or wine, custard and whipped cream which is optional.
The non-alcoholic version of trifle includes fruit juices or purees to moisten the sponge cake or cake fingers. This version can be good to serve your kids or teetotalers.
Some versions of trifle also include jelly instead of sherry to moisten the sponge cake.
The addition of jelly also gives the dessert new dimensions. However, it has to be done right! I haven’t used a jelly recipe here, but a fruit puree to soften the cake layer.
This Mango trifle recipe will be definitely your kids favourite as it is melt in the mouth and highly tempting. Bonus, Healthy as there are no added artificial ingredients in it.
Layers in Mango Trifle
Trifle is Build on Three layers. And an extra layer of whipped cream is always optional and added as a way to make the dessert more appealing and interesting.
The three basic layers are,
- Sponge cake/ fingers
- Fruit purees’/juices/ diced fruit and berries
- layer of custard
These three layers are arranged one above the other, with the bottom layer being the sponge cake (that is, above the sponge cake fruit juices or purees / cut fruits and berries are added, above that, a layer of custard is added).
How to serve trifle
Trifles are usually served in a trifle bowl. you can use any normal bowls to layer the trifles.
To make it even classy you can use glasses to layer the trifle.
If there is more than a layer, tall glasses makes the dessert more interesting. Also, the visible layers outside the glass make it much more captivating.
Short glasses are mostly preferred to serve your mini trifles, as it is easy to complete your cup with a whipped cream topping or it looks like fulfilled dessert.
‘Shot glasses’ would be a great option for a party takeaway or use white wine glass as I used for serving this strawberry trifle
Tips to make the best Mango trifle
1. The only secret in making the best Mango trifle is, to make them few hours before serving. This allows the cake to soak in fruit juices or purees.
2. Be mindful when adding sugar.
If you have a sweet tooth, it’s okay to add that extra sugar. But, when it is particularly for serving the crowd, too much sugar could spoil the dessert as the fruit itself have some sweetness in it.
3. Let your custard be semi-thick
Custard that is too loose may make the dessert soggy. Make your custards less watery.
4. You can store the remaining whipped cream in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator or freezer. This can be used later for whipping up another set of trifles later.
5. While using leftover whipped cream that was taken out from the refrigerator, you need to make sure; it is not too hard for you to pipe it down and the temperature has fallen a bit down. whipped cream needs to be chilled not freezed before whipping.
Making Mango trifle & Storing
Unlike, other desserts Fruit trifle recipes are easy to make and best suited for serving guests. Bonus, You can make it in advance.
Another beauty of these Mango trifle desserts is its quick to assemble to present at impromptu parties, if you have the leftovers of custard, and cake with few mangoes.
1. If Making a trifle a day ahead, make sure you top it with whipped cream at the time of parties rather than storing it with whipped cream on top.
2. Another method is to prepare all the base ingredients separately and layering them sometime before parties.
3. Though, the cake in a trifle needs to be soaked, remember too much soaking may turn them into soggy. To avoid these limit the time storing in the refrigerator with all layers. Approximately you can store this trifle with all layers for a day.
Substitutions for ingredients
The best part in making your favourite dessert is with readily available ingredients, Particularly when you are running out of time, right?
So, here are some secrets to save you on quick fixures.
Firstly, You can use a store-bought custard tins instead of making them from scratch.
Secondly, You can substitute any store-bought sponge cake for the cake layer or vanilla and chocolate cake would also be a good alternative.
Ran out of cake? but leftover with sweet buns?? No, worries. You have got a good alternative.
Crumble them to make the base layer cutting out the edges. This trick worked for us, and we liked it. Try it out with this and let us know, if that worked for you too.
Lastly, a mango store-bought mango puree could save you with the third layer.
If you are keener to make summer fruit trifle recipes you can try different summer fruit juices or purees to make your trifle recipes like this mango custard trifle.
Recipe to Make Easy Mango Trifle
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 ½ tbsp Custard powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Crumbled Cake
- 1/2 cup Mango Puree
- 1 cup Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup Chopped Mangoes
- Prepare custard paste by mixing custard powder with a tsp of milk.
- Boil remaining milk and add this custard paste to boiled milk.
- Take a Trifle serving bowl/ jar/ cup. Layer crumbled cake over it.
- Above this layer add Mango puree.
- Above the layer of Mango puree add Custrad mix.
- Take Whipped cream in a wide bowl, such that it top layer remains a little lower than the brim.
- Whip it with an electric hand mixer or whisker. It will take approximately extra five to eight minutes if using a whisker.
- Whip it, till you see the soft peaks
- Add this whipped cream to a piping bag with nostril and pipe it over the layer of custard.
- You can whip it with cream just before serving and top with chopped mangoes.
- That's it, your dessert craving is fixed. Enjoy!