Sweet, silky smooth, no egg; is the secret mantra for this mousse recipe with persimmon. If you want to up your dessert game with persimmons that too with the quick whip then you are at the right place! I guarantee you, a no-fuss method here, even a first-time attempter can perfect the art of making this Fruit mousse, just like me. Ready?
Last time, when my father in law bought a big bag of Hachiya persimmons to home, rather than having them raw; I was excited to try desserts out of them. That’s how the super simple Mousse recipe with persimmon gave birth to my world of desserts.
I bet you will love their extraordinary pairing with chocolate, because who doesn’t love easy chocolate desserts.
I have yet another basic chocolate cake recipe for you to try using a microwave.
Do you love persimmons too?
Love, or hate it! But, this recipe will make you pick them when you go for your fruit shopping again!
What is a Persimmon?
Persimmons are Orange Coloured fruit, with green stalk, thin skin and look like tomatoes. They are also known as Sharon Fruit By Israelites and have a soft jelly-like pulp.
Persimmon Cultivations are most popular in Japan and the United States. Though there are many varieties of Persimmons, Hachiya and Fuyu varieties are Popular.
Health Benefits of Persimmons.
Persimmons are full of Vitamins, Minerals and Fibre. They are high in potassium and beta-carotene and can take care of your heart and intestine. Even studies suggest they reduce diabetics and hypertension, strengthening immunity.
For gorging on to more of its health benefits hop on here
How do you know if a persimmon is ripe?
Most first-timers with persimmons would probably dislike them as a fruit, this might be because they had them before they are ripe, and their mouth went numb.
I understand. That was how I felt when I was introduced to this fruit being said as tasty.
So, How do you eat a persimmon?!
The Only best way to eat them is when they are riped. The perfectly riped Hachiya persimmons will be hard to cut and would end up in a squeezy state.
Gently, press the fruit with fingers to identify if a persimmon is ripe. It would be soft when you press it from outside. Then, You can scoop up the fleshy part of persimmons. However, the skin is edible.
How to ripen persimmons?
Here are few of my Best ways to ripen persimmons,
- Place them in a paper bag.
- Keep them together with Bananas and apples to hasten the ripened process.
- Place them in a window side, where sunlight would directly hit most of the day.
- Alternatively, let them just stay and you can wait till when they are ripe. Sometimes, You need to wait for a month or two.
- You can also Store them in Freezer directly for Speeding up the process of ripening. But, there is always a difference between Freezer stored Pulp and the fresh one, However, taste-wise they both are the same.
What to do with Persimmons?
Persimmons are naturally sweet and can be had raw as it is. Yet, you would always love the dessert version. This Easy mousse recipe with persimmons take significantly less time and are melt in the mouth.
Bonus, this can be accomplished with No oven and zero baking fuss. Also, you need not run back to grocery stores and can quickly proceed from scratch.
This mousse dessert comes under the recipes for hachiya persimmons. I haven’t tried them with Fuyu. Suppose you et a chance to try this recipe with Fuyu variety; I would be glad to hear from you.
They also make a perfect dessert for a festival or a party at home.
Best Mousse Recipe with Persimmons Plus Tips and Tricks.
For persimmon mix:
- Firstly, Puree the persimmons by peeling/scooping off its skin.
- If you would like to add Flavour to your mousse, you can do it at this stage, add two pinches of nutmeg or cinnamon powder to it and mix well.
Before proceeding with further steps let’s learn some basics about double boiler as this will help you in making this quick dessert. If you are already familiar with them you can jump forward to making chocolate mix.
How to Make a double boiler: Double boiler can be done easy and is handy by using two bowls or containers.
- Place a deep bottomed bowl with water on the stovetop, over that bowl place another bowl more or less like layering as such its edges are well supported by corners of the first bowl.
- Boil water and let it start steaming.
- While doing this step,ensure that the bottom of your second bowl on the top doesn’t touch the boiler water in the bottom.
How does a double boiler work?
As the water in the lower bowl/container boils, it heats the bowl over it, using its steam. So, melting chocolate with a double boiler just got easier than ever before and helped us to avoid any burnings.
For the Chocolate mix:
1. In a double boiler, Add Butter and cocoa powder. Let the cocoa powder mix well, evenly with butter without any lumps.
2. Take another bowl filled with ice water and Ice cubes, Place the second bowl from the double boiler with butter and cocoa powder.
3. Add fresh cream and give it a whip until soft peaks arise. We are rapidly cooling a hot product direct from the stove and subsequently giving birth to soft peaks. I learnt this step from Deepa of Passionate about baking. This recipe is inspired by her’s with my unique twists.
4. Mix the persimmon mix with the chocolate mix. Alternatively, you can also layer it over the chocolate mix.
5. Pour them in a designated container and refrigerate them before serving.
You can store this Persimmon mousse in an airtight container inside the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Tips to make Easy Persimmon Dessert
1. Ensure the second bowl from the boiler is hot while you start whipping, by placing it over the bowl of ice cubes.
2. You can Flavour this Mousse Dessert by adding nutmeg, Cinnamon or Cardamon based on Your Preference, this can be done at the persimmon Puree mix stage. But, ensure your Flavouring agents are smooth and fine.
3. Although, it’s a mousse you can Garnish it with nuts, to have a custard-like feeling. You will love the crunchiness that pairs best with this mousse dessert. If you like to add nuts to this dessert, my recommendation would be chopped Walnuts.
4. For the vegan version of mousse, just substitute coconut cream instead of the dairy cream and butter with nut butter.
5. As the Sharon fruit itself is naturally sweet, you can adjust the amount of sugar added based on your Preference.
Mousse Recipe with Persimmon
- ⅓ cup Cocoa powder
- 70 g Butter
- ⅓ Cup Sugar
- 1 large Pureed Hachiya Persimmons
- ⅓ Cup Fresh Cream
- Peel skin of Hachiya Persimmons and Puree them into a smooth paste.
- In a double boiler, Add cocoa powder and butter, and make a chocolate ganache out of it.
- Take a bowl filled with cold water and ice cubes.
- Place the chocolate ganache bowl over bowl with Ice cubes.
- Add sugar and Cream and whip it out till soft peaks arise.
- Scoop them out in the desired container to be served.
- Enjoy them chilled and topped with persimmon cubes or as it is.
- Always Ensure the second bowl in double boiler is hot while whipping it together with fresh cream. Else, its hard to get those soft peaks. (more tips and tricks above!)
- use double boiler to mix cocoa powder and butter(I suggest reading up ‘how to make double boiler’ section from above the post for better understanding)