The craze over the cute mini chocolate cakes oozing with the silky smooth chocolate lava, Woah,… Endless!
you are probably here because you tasted your best-molten chocolate lava cake or messed up making one or maybe those chocolate lava flow in the picture attracted you to make one.
No worries, you can make them too with this recipe for Molten Chocolate cake.
Who doesn’t want to experience it at home, right?
How to make a Molten Lava cake
I don’t agree with the cakes that are being served as lava cake but didn’t have that hooey-gooey center. uh, sometimes very little or no flowing centers resembling a mix of chocolate soufflé and cake. If that’s the case, I’m sure you might not have enjoyed it too!
Though the cake tastes good either, for someone like me who enjoyed molten chocolate cakes with the flowing center, it’s weirder.
But,’ How to make a molten lava cake Perfect? ‘
This Easy chocolate lava cake recipe guides you to that. All you need to do is just consider the tips, We share with you while making.
Getting your dessert ready for the family? Try this quick and easy chocolate cake recipe in your microwave
How to make a molten lava cake that flows?
There is a secret to making Lava in the Molten chocolate cakes to flow. Besides, there are a few important steps we need to consider while making molten lava cakes.
Chocolate lave that Flows – Steps to consider
- don’t beat the batter too much
- Avoid Overcooking : stop cooking once the outer layer is cooked and jiggly
So does it mean the Molten lava cakes are undercooked and raw?
Never, the outer layer of this cakes are perfectly cooked and you can feel it by the cake’s texture.
Also, in this method the cooking time for the cake is higher than the minimum time required to cook an egg. So, there is no panic for undercooked cakes.
The secret to making your chocolate lava flow without an undercooked cake is using butter while melting with chocolate.
Though it sounds so simple, its not that only ingredient to save you. Keep an eye on this round up of ingredients that could also help in making silky smooth flow
Ingredients for Chocolate Lava cake
I used Powdered sugar in this recipe, for the reason it takes less time to whip and mix
Eggs give airy feeling to the lava cake and makes it soft. As we use egg here, I have skipped baking powder.
Refined Flour is used here. I haven’t tried the same recipe with other flours. Would love to hear from you, if tried so. Use the same amount of flour as suggested in recipe notes, otherwise, the dessert would be more of a pudding than a cake.
Good quality chocolate is preferred for making this recipe.
I have tried the same recipe with compound chocolates and other chocolates that don’t have cocoa butter in them. The final result of chocolate lava didn’t turn out to be as expected as silky smooth and thin. I would recommend trying it with compound chocolates if you want some thick chocolate centres.
Whereas the chocolates with cocoa butter gave the exact lava as in this video.
Also try to avoid chocolates with caramel, as it turns out to be sticky and chewy thick cake cups with absence of Lava. That has to be my biggest failure attempt while trying out the recipe.
Addition of Butter helps in thinning of chocolates and for that reason, we used 1 : 1 ratio of butter and chocolates. Don’t skip this step for a perfect lava effect.
DIY double boiler
The double boiler method is an important step to melt chocolates and butter together.
This method acts as a substitue for double boiler and makes your job easier without burning your chocolates.
DIY Double boiler comprises of two bowls place one above the other,
- At first, place a bowl filled one third with water in the bottom. Let the water in this bowl heat.
- Place a heat bearable ceramic or glass bowl above it, such that the edges of the bowl in the bottom supports the one above.
- Also, make sure the water in the bottom bowl doesn’t touch the bowl above it.
- Then, add the chocolates and butter to melt
I have used the same method of double boiler to melt chocolate in this Persimmon mousse recipe
Molten chocolate lava cake without ramekins
The recipe shared here makes molten chocolate lava cake without Ramekins.
Instead, I used Katori’s (small bowls) to hold the batter and they are made in a cooker.
You can repeat the same recipe with the exact amount of ingredients in an oven or microwave. This recipe also works, if you repeat a microwave-safe katori’s for making them. All you need to do is fill the bowls, one – fourth with batter.
The bowls used in the recipe is 7cm in diameter and 4.5cm in height.
Can you make Molten Lava ahead of time / Reheat
Got some leftover molten lava cakes? store them in the refrigerator. The same applies to making molten lava cakes ahead of time.
But make sure to thaw it before you reheat and serve. This way, you can avoid a cold molten centre with warm cake edges.
save this recipe for chocolate orange cake that blends the flavour of orange with chocolate, best if you prefer more ‘make ahead and serve recipes.’
Step by step Recipe notes for making Easy Chocolate lava cake
Melt chocolates and Butter using a double boiler method (you can refer to previous notes, if you haven’t )
Beat two whole medium size Chicken eggs and keep aside
Swift Flour and Powdered sugar to keep the lumps away
Mix the Eggs with the Silky butter-chocolate melt.
Add the Flour and powder mix, gently to the above mix little by little without lumps. In this step, avoid vigorous whisking. At the end of this step, the cake mix would not be so thick and it would be in the consistency of medium flow.
Grease the ramekin’s or katori’s with butter, followed by dusting it with flour .
Now, Pour the cake mix into the Katori’s (Small bowl) and fill the bowl till it is three-fourths.
Using a Steamer
Take a steamer with lid, Add water to it and heat it to boiling point.i used idly cooker for this purpose.
you can also use idli molds instead of ramekins but the cake would be flat rather than puffed.
now place the cake mix katori’s inside and seal it with lid.
Let it get steamed for 10-12 minutes. The time for steaming depends on how much Katori’s you add inside.
you can check if the cake is done between 10-12 minutes. you can have more references by watching the video for the Molten chocolate lava cake attached here.
Using a Microwave
Preheat it for 5 minutes and then place the microwave safe bowl filled with cake mix, this will take minimum of 3-5 minutes to get done.
if your turntable is circular don’t place any bowls in the center. This will avoid unevenly cooked cakes.
Serving options for molten chocolate cake
Once the cake is done, gently release the sides of the cake by passing a toothpick or mild knife
Gently, invert it on a serving plate and serve as it is.
For Garnishing, you can dust with sugar powder or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to go together with it.
Molten Chocolate Lava cake Recipe
- 80 gram Chocolate Dark chocolate with cocoa butter is preferred
- 80 gram Butter
- ¼ cup Refined Flour
- ¼ cup Powdered sugar
- 2 Chicken Eggs Medium size
- Take 80gm chocolate bar with cocoa butter in it(read the label of the chocolate to find it) and 80gm unsalted butter.
- Melt the chocolates and butter together using a double boiler method (Refer DIY double boiler method in the post)
- Beat two eggs and keep them aside.
- Sift the Refined flour to keep it away from lumps followed by powdered sugar.
- Now, add eggs to the melted chocolate and butter mix.
- Then add the flour and sugar mix to the chocolate melt mix little by a little while gently stirring; ensure the final batter is free from lumps. you can also press the lumps with a spatula to get rid of them.
- Grease the ramekins or small bowls with butter and dust with flour.
- fill the ramekin's to its three fourths with batter.
- Take a steamer with a lid, add water to it and heat it to boiling point.
- Now place the cake mix Katori's inside and seal it with a lid.
- Let it get steamed for 10-12 minutes. The time for steaming depends on how much Katori's you add inside.
Using a Microwave
- Preheat it for 5 minutes and then place the microwave safe bowl filled with cake mix, this will take minimum of 3-5 minutes to get done.
- if your turntable is circular don't place any bowls in the center. This will avoid unevenly cooked cakes.
Serving options for molten chocolate cake
- Once the cake is done, gently release the sides of the cake by passing a toothpick or mild knife.
- Gently, invert it on a serving plate and serve as it is.
- For Garnishing, you can dust with sugar powder or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to go together with it.