‘Radish pods’ are known as Moongre, Sengri, Mogri or Sogri in different parts of North India and Mulyachya shenga, Dingrya across Maharashtra. ‘Sabji or Sabzi’ is a side dish made using vegetables. ‘Aloo’ is a Hindi name for potatoes
This recipe is authentic Rajasthani side dish prepared using Radish Pods and potatoes.Jump to Recipe
Radish pods start to flood the market around the end of winter, here in Rajasthan and they look similar to french beans, but they are not actually.
During the end of our first winter here in Rajasthan is when I got them home thinking they are like beans. It’s my first and last take away of this vegetable during the entire season.
Little did I know they are perfect the way they are!
Only thing is to bring out their speciality in their own dish. so, I sorted out these ways to help you if this was your case too or Omg! at least save yourselves from these experiments.
looking for quick vegetarian rice inspo to accompany this side dish? try this Green chickpea Rice recipe.
What are Radish pods
When Radish plant is allowed to grow past their harvesting period, pods or seeds starts to appear and are edible.
This is how I met this seasonal produce in my neighbourhood who loves gardening much. It was that time of the year their garden would be lush and dense with radish shrubs.
They are usually had with salads for their sharp, crunchy textures.
What to Avoid
The only way it might turn out to be your enemy is when you overcook them. so, make it sure you don’t do that, or else you might end up hating them.
So, avoid adding moongre in dishes that take longer to cook. If you ever intend to add them in a dish that is traditional to you and involves long cooking,
- just add them at the end and give just a few seconds to cook
- saute them separately with salt and dash of masalas and add it to the dish
follow any of the above that suits your preference.
yes, there are actually things like that!
I discovered the other ways to cook these veggies when they shared the recipe with me
They were so nice to give us some baby Radish pods and explained the ways to cook. As she said,
- Add them to salad
- stir fry
- stir-frying and make it as a gravy (Mogri / sogri ki sabzi)
Best to serve
This seasonal vegetable is prepared in a semi gravy consistency and best when devoured with rice or chapatti, Naan and phulkas.
This can also be served as sides along with Rajma chawal
Method to make Moongre/ sengri ki sabzi with Aloo
- wash and clean the moongre by removing the tiny stems.
- chop them into pieces.
- I used baby pods, so, I just chopped one into 2 pieces, if you are using long pods, chop them with a minimum of 1-inch size.
- chop the one medium-sized tomatoes, two chillies, a medium-sized potato and keep them aside.
- Gather all the Ingredients
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan
- add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin and let them splutter.
- once they splutter add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and saute for few seconds. be careful not to burn them.
- Now, chopped tomatoes and chopped chillies.
- when tomatoes start losing its state add chopped potatoes, and add 1 cup water.
- now, add 1/2 tsp gram masala, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp red chilly powder and salt to it.
- once potatoes are cooked and the water starts reducing add the sogri or radish pods.
- cook for a few seconds, check for salt and adjust by adding some of it.
Tips & Tricks
- Always chop Mulyachya shenga (pods) into bite-size pieces.
- Some prefer to pressure cook them, but I prefer not to overcook. If pressure cooking the whole process interests you. you can definitely go by that way. which might reduce the time of cooking further.
- You can use any vegetable oil other than mustard oil for seasoning. Ghee is also preferred in this case if you are not vegan.
- adjust water and salt-based on your consistency and preference.
RAJASTHANI MOONGRE KI SABZICourse: SidesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
3/4 cup radish pods
1 cup potato
1 medium size tomato
2 green chillies
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
1/4 tsp Red chilly powder
- Gather all the ingredients as mentioned above.
- wash and chop sogri,green chillies and tomato into their desired sizes.
- cube the potatoes
- heat a pan and add oil.
- when oil is hot, ad the ingredients for seasoning (mustard, cumin) one by one.
- when they splutters, add ginger garlic paste, and saute for few seconds.
- After that add chopped tomatoes and chillies and cook till tomatoes loses its state.
- add cubed potatoes and saute for few minutes.
- Add the spice powders required for the recipe (turmeric, red chilly, garam masala and salt).
- now, add water and cook for 15 minutes . you can always the amount of water based on the consistency you want.
- now add sogri and cook for few seconds or a minute.
- serve it hot with rice or chapati.
- I personally prefer baby radish pods.
- avoid cooking too big mogris.
- dont overcook.
- Aloo in the recipe refers to potato.
- you can also use any vegetable oil instead of mustard oil.